Author Topic: Can a team tournament be organized in this era?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline MasterOz on: July 22, 2023, 01:10:58 pm

• View Profile
We all know VC:MP is not in the healthiest of states, with oldies going away and losing interest from the regular DM thats provided in the traditional servers. Why not though, as you wouldn't like to log on and see players not willing to shoot or play against you due to your reputation/history/skill. If that goes as it is, then it'd be worse.

The only thing in my view to somehow enjoy the last bits of VC:MP, is by reviving CTF. It being the server where oldies used to play, had competitive environment and memories would certainly attract them to play again. I am up for holding parties regularly from now on.

All I ask now is if there is any possibility for a tournament? What hurdles may be in this process? I believe that this act can revive VC:MP more than active scripting, pushing updates and fizing bugs as there would be actual quality players playing the game, having fun and enjoying it and the scripters/developers efforts won't go in vain.

If VC:MP needs a kick, let it be from our very own CTF.

Offline vitovc #1 on: July 25, 2023, 01:43:22 pm

• View Profile
I think people who playing tournaments and people who value reputation/history/skill are same people.
There is vc-mp "community" currently is same as in The Divide movie (rare people who can enjoy those "last bits of VC:MP")
Making VC-MP to be friendly to newbies is only way to revive that. And it request alot of active scripting, pushing updates and fizing bugs.

Offline MasterOz #2 on: July 25, 2023, 02:38:02 pm

• View Profile
Newbies won't stay for long if they don't see others playing in actual competitive matches and stick together to stuff. Most of the player-count of VC:MP is based on DMers and to captivate their interests, such matches would prove impactful. The updates and active scripting lacks a sort of motivation as I see now, and seeing players taking interest in a new event would definitely prompt devs to spend some time.

Offline vitovc #3 on: July 25, 2023, 03:50:17 pm

• View Profile
Newbies don't know how to change mouse sensitivity and how to buy car in LW. Competitive matches and tournaments is for newbies, really? How tournament will prompt devs to spend some time and to what? Oh how long distance betwean our points in understanding of vc-mp.

Offline Fortune #4 on: July 25, 2023, 04:44:09 pm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For a simple 20-year-old game like GTAVC, all the fun is in killing and... killing, the rest of the game modes get easily boring (except one server which I know of, deals with it smartly).
We still get newbies but it's becoming less with time. VC-MP imo is alive not because of newcomers but because the boomers like us stick to playing it because we don't want the memories to stop.

Anyway, I support this idea of the team tournament as they are much easier than clan tournies. I will be ready to take part in the organization.

Offline MasterOz #5 on: July 25, 2023, 05:36:55 pm

• View Profile
Newbies don't know how to change mouse sensitivity and how to buy car in LW. Competitive matches and tournaments is for newbies, really? How tournament will prompt devs to spend some time and to what? Oh how long distance between our points in understanding of vc-mp.
Newbies sure know how to hop in servers, and with time few of them would be here organizing similar matches and bumping alike topics just because they saw us playing in such matches. I am talking like that because I too was one of those newbies, bumped into CTF to see FullFilled killing me, players against each other with a purpose of winning and taking the flags and shit what not. For a start, they all made me RQ instantly but I sure came back and stayed with time. The game-mode was captivating in itself. You never can 100% guess what future has for us.

For a simple 20-year-old game like GTAVC, all the fun is in killing and... killing, the rest of the game modes get easily boring (except one server which I know of, deals with it smartly).
We still get newbies but it's becoming less with time. VC-MP imo is alive not because of newcomers but because the boomers like us stick to playing it because we don't want the memories to stop.

Anyway, I support this idea of the team tournament as they are much easier than clan tournies. I will be ready to take part in the organization.
Glad to hear that!

Offline vitovc #6 on: July 25, 2023, 06:16:30 pm

• View Profile
Newbies sure know how to hop in servers, and with time few of them would be here organizing similar matches and bumping alike topics just because they saw us playing in such matches.
As I remember spawning during clan-wars/tournaments is technically is not possible for random people who joined to server (even if server is not passworded)

Offline MasterOz #7 on: July 25, 2023, 07:34:59 pm

• View Profile
They can spectate for now, the key here is with the time it would take for them to actually grow understanding of such concepts. As you mentioned, most newbs are completely clueless what's happening, but curiosity would definitely pave some way for them once they get a gist of what actual matches feel like.

Offline Rift_Walk3R #8 on: July 27, 2023, 11:05:02 am

• Administrator
  • Miami Killers & Co.
    • View Profile
No one’s “curious” to learn vcmp in 2023 especially because of its current state in terms of its sync and limits, and also because there really are better options out there in terms of online multiplayer for newbies to try and work upon. I’ll agree with Fortune here that what’s keeping vcmp somewhat alive today is a major chunk of players like us, new comers are actually becoming more and more rare in vcmp nowadays, and the only servers you’d expect to find them are the free roam / Non-dm ones, where they won’t get tilted cuz of a 100+ ping lagger running after them and killing them with ease while not getting a single hit from them.

Offline MasterOz #9 on: July 27, 2023, 12:58:36 pm

• View Profile
You can't quantify it for everyone. I bet you don't look at GBOYZ and other servers where new players continuously hop into. We are here because of nostalgia, and there would be more to come
as well.
Comparing VCMP to other modern well-equipped games is so smart of you. Maybe you are the one to decide the definition of fun for each individual.

Those laggers actually have gone through the same torture, but there was something that made them stick to the game. Theres a saying that never say no. You should be more open and get rid of that old-ass whine of lag which losers love to throw in every situation. You being a player with quite an experience in VCMP, although not as much skilled in combat as you should be, compromise by your social skills quite good. Make your current state to be put in good use and lets make a contribution in getting the word across for an actual CTF TT.

Offline Rift_Walk3R #10 on: July 29, 2023, 04:35:39 pm

• Administrator
  • Miami Killers & Co.
    • View Profile
We are here because of nostalgia...
Ayo my friend, chill out and try to understand other person's POV before spamming your keyboard in rage. :P
I never said nor did I try to "quantify" this for anyone, what I stated above is not only based on my years of observations and experience, but also on the output given by both newbies and old OG players regarding the game and its state with the passage of time.

Comparing VCMP to other modern well-equipped games is so smart of you.
Idk how saying that "there are better options available" is like directly comparing an old classic game to other new and better ones but still, for your convenience, let's assume I did draw a comparison, so what? Cuz yes it's smart, cuz that's what sane players and gamers overall look forward to do when they're seeking out to play new (or even old) games, that is it worth their time, is learning it worth it, are there any game breaking or unfair bugs/glitches in that game that unfortunately are part of its mechanics that are hard to learn and master? Yes, with dedication it is possible, that's how we all learnt these things but the thing you are failing to grasp is that in this year and state of the game, there' little to no possibility of full time new DMers joining this game.
And also, before you even think of giving an idea of an event related to a server that has been dead for a long while now, can you answer these questions?

-> How many new players you know that have joined recently and stick around to learn VCMP?
-> How many other games do you know besides VCMP where glitches are a part of the "mechanics"?.
-> How many games are out there that haven't been updated for ages despite the brutal need and still retaining playerbase?
-> How many active objective-based servers do we currently have?

As far as I remember, the last most recent event of VCMP that was related to VCAD died cuz of massive absence of players due to their inactivity, keeping in account that VCAD was one of very active vcmp servers that time, alongside RTV.
Can you guarantee that if an event gets organized there will be enough teams? And that they will not withdraw due to inactivity? Just to waste time of the staff and other participants?

Those laggers actually have gone through the same torture, but there was something that made them stick to the game. Theres a saying that never say no. You should be more open and get rid of that old-ass whine of lag which losers love to throw in every situation.
Yes something did indeed made them stick to the game, and surprisingly that's NOT only nostalgia, that's their own lag, their ability to abuse their lag plus the game's already broken and malfunctioning features and mechanics, and the fact that there's no other game in which this particular lag-related skill of theirs will benefit them. And that is why a few old players who have been playing this game for over a decade and are known as "laggers" in this game still continue to play this game even though it's in it's worst inactive state right now, because (as I said before) their art of utilizing their lag will benefit them nowhere other than this game itself. As I look forward to expect, you may deny this statement too but nothing changes the facts my friend, does it? :D
Plus lmao there's no such saying as "never say no", in fact there's a saying for wise people that they really gotta learn to say NO to certain things, you may google that in case you decide to refuse this too :P
Talking about "whine" and "losers", with due respect and no offense intended to either you or anyone else here, I am not the one whose clan lost twice or maybe thrice to the same clan in the same server (game mode) and then started whining about the self-assumed "ill-treatment" and "unfairness" that the staff gave to me or my clan :D :D
Neither did I ever talked shit to my opponents either before, during, or even after the match. So please, before being blindly blunt with your approach, I request you to watch out :P :P

...although not as much skilled in combat as you should be...
Maybe you are the one to decide the definition of fun for each individual.
Just like you decided the definition of "skill" for me, the same way I decided the definition of "fun", at least for you if not anyone else. :D
Even though, again, I wasn't intending to do that but thank you for reminding me regarding that. :P
Everything apart, I am only skilled when I have to be, especially when I have time and motivation, not when some angry pals from the game want me to be, I hope you understand this. ;)

Make your current state to be put in good use and lets make a contribution in getting the word across for an actual CTF TT.
Just for your info, my current state was, is, and shall continue to remain good here because even though I am not able to come and physically play the game full time and as actively as I did before, I am still here for all admin work and refereeing related stuff, not only in CTF, but for every server where I am contributing as a staff member. And the ones who're close to me and are contributing with me know that very well, I don't need to prove it to someone else. ;)
I am down for every sort of contribution and coordinating work, because as a staff member, it's a positive and a healthy sign for me and the rest of my fellows here that players actively come, participate in and encourage the revival of ctf. But in case we get little to no enthusiastic responses for the event, then the chances for it actually happening will be quite less, because no one's gonna force someone to leave everything else in their lives and come play in this event cuz a single or a couple of individuals want to have "fun". I hope you're mature enough to understand that. ;)
Have a nice day mate.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 12:03:01 am by Rift_Walk3R »

Offline Fortune #11 on: July 30, 2023, 12:19:47 am

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Keep this on topic guys. Save another off-topic thread for the drama.

--
This might work, considering 2 teams into two groups. Give it time, and we shall see to it.

Offline Siezer #12 on: July 30, 2023, 07:32:20 am

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey MasterOz,

It's great to see that the CTF is getting some activity back, and your idea could work well. I personally don't have enough time to manage the event, but we can ask the staff if anyone is interested in taking charge. Alternatively, we can explore the option of allowing outsiders to organize an event if they are interested.

Before proceeding, I’d like to gauge the community's interest over the next few weeks. To do that, what do you think of organizing a small multiclan war session on upcoming weekends when teams are ready. This way, you can assess the community's interest and see if they'd be interested in participating in a larger event later on?

Based on my recent experiences in the CTF, I believe the activity level is fine and that the community might be able to sustain it with either a small or large event, depending on how things progress.

I’d like to see multiclan war anytime soon and I am happy to give a help hand in this one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:34:10 am by Siezer »

Offline Fortune #13 on: July 30, 2023, 04:48:28 pm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I’d like to see multiclan war anytime soon and I am happy to give a help hand in this one.
Team tournaments seem easier, as they are formed by players from different clans. This will make it easier for everyone (including clanless) to form a team without having to ask their clan leaders, and of course, this will also allow larger clans like VU, MK, TLA, RT, or others to form up more than one team and vice-versa.
And I will only echo what you said about taking a small step before getting into a larger event. That's why I propose a team tournament of 4 teams, divided into two groups. This will give us insight into whether we are able for a bigger one or not.
Besides, whether it's a Clan war session or a team tourney, I am up for help.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 04:52:33 pm by Fortune »

Offline Siezer #14 on: July 30, 2023, 08:10:52 pm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey Fortune,

I simply suggested an option for a small event to test its success, but I'm open to either a team or a clan setup, as my motivation behind this is to observe the player’s interest.

For a big and official tournament, we can definitely have mixed teams, otherwise, a clan-based approach might not work well given the current situation. I proposed the idea of clans for the small event because they can quickly assemble competitive squads on short notice which is difficult to do for random players on two weeks notice